Monday, September 29, 2008

Fantasy Foibles

I have to say, I've done worse with fantasy hockey drafts. In the first year inception of Glen Burnie HC; the "Troubled Bunch" picked Felix Potvin in the first round. Now, if it was 1993, I think I would have been happy with it....but it was 2003 and Potvin was able to get usurped all the way to Russia. How I was able to pull a championship out of that-- I'll never know.

This year....we'll have to see how we do. Down the middle, I feel somewhat solid with Jason Spezza, Joe Sakic, and Patrice Bergeron, but my wings are what I fear. On the left side, Zach Parise, Patrick Sharp, Ryan Malone, and Cory Stillman. I'm hoping both Parise and Sharp continue their surge to elite status, while I hope Malone earns his money and Stillman doesn't get hurt. On the right side, Alexei Kovalev and P-M Bouchard-- both who have potential, but need to reach it consistently for my benefit.

Defense could be a little shaky with Brent Burns and Kris Letang, both I hope have big years-- especially Letang who should get tons of chances to prove himself with all the Pens injuries. Rounding it out, franchise player Brent Seabrook (he's been on this team every freakin' year), Sami Salo, and Christian Ehrhoff. It's not the most glamourous blue line, but if they can succeed-- a lot of bang for my buck.

I needed to pick up goaltending quick since I picked 14th in odd numbered rounds and 1st in even numbered-- there was too much downtime and too many picks before and after me to sit on it. I was able to swipe up Henrik Lundqvist and Carey Price and hope both stay healthy and play amazingly.

Oddly enough, in my other leagues with GBHC's satellite team, Aston HC-- I've got a decent amount of Blackhawks in one of them and just a total gongshow team in another. Guess that's what happens when you don't have to go by position and just go forward position. The defense in that gongshow is ridiculous with Nick Lidstrom, Scott Niedermayer, and Kimmo Timonen, but the offense isn't up to that par.

I don't look for much in the Aston HC leagues, but with GBHC; anything less than a division title would be a big disappointment for the goals I set.

Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in taking over the one Dummy Team in my league, let me know. First come, first serve.

1 comment:

JonnyP said...

Viva la Glen Burnie H.C.